Are you finally ready to make the plunge to buy a new home? Maybe you’re done with renting? Or maybe the house you bought didn’t quite live up to your expectations?
If you’re buying a newly constructed home or require renovations to a resale home, you’ll be hiring a builder or contractor.
Here are 5 things to keep in mind when choosing one:
- Ask for references; talk to other customers about the builder’s performance.
- Check with the New Home Warranty program in the area.
- Visit other housing developments the company has built.
- Ask builders or contractors if they’re members of a local homebuilders’ association, or ask for a provincial license number.
- If you’re building a custom home, remember that:
- You may want to hire an architect.
- Builders of custom homes usually work on either a fixed‐price or a cost‐plus basis. Authorize any changes to your contract by writing your name or initials beside the change.
Buying a new home is one of the biggest decisions of your life. Make sure you do it right, and use the professionals.
And when you’re ready to pay for it, contact us. We’ll find a mortgage that’s built just for you.